If you want to work during your studies, there are some points to consider in order to ensure insurance coverage in the student health scheme:
As a general rule, the core focus always need to be on your studies:
- If your monthly salary is less than 450 EUR, you can work unlimited hours but there is a minimum wage in Germany that will limit your maximum working hours before reaching the 450 EUR threshold.
- If your student job is limited to 3 months or to a maximum of 70 days a year you can earn more money.
- If you work during the semester maximum 20 hours a week (“working student privilege”), there is no salary limit. Anyways, you must focus on your studies.
- If you are a working student and most of your working time is in the evening, at night, at the weekend or during your semester holidays, you are allowed to work more than 20 hours’ a week.
- If you are a self-employed student, you have the option to be insured in the student health insurance. However, you cannot have any employees and your working time cannot exceed the 20-hour-rule.
If you breach one or more rules stated above you are probably not allowed to stay in the favourable student health insurance. In this case, you can choose between the private health insurance and the public health insurance.