Once you have arrived in Germany and are ready to start receiving your Blocked Account funds you will need to activate your account.
Let’s go through the details!
The money from the blocked account is not directly accessible. You are not able to pay for rent, or pay for food with a card like you would with a normal bank account like a debit card or 'Girokonto'. This is why you must set up a personal bank account in Germany that the monthly Blocked Account funds can be deposited into.
- The money from the blocked account must be transferred into the personal German bank account for example N26. It's paperless, fast and efficient. You can get your account up and running with an online Identification process within the hour. If you can not access N26, feel free to choose any conventional banking provider in Germany.
Once you arrive in Germany, to receive your monthly disbursements, you will need to login to your Expatrio Portal and upload the following documents:
- Your German visa document (from your passport)
- EU entry stamp (from your passport)
- City registration (“Anmeldung”) from the city hall (“Bürgeramt”)
- The German bank account opening document/monthly statement ("Kontoauszug")
Your Name, IBAN, BIC and German Address must be specified on this document.
You can login here: https://www.expatrio.com/products/user/login
Expatrio confirms the Activation Orders every day and then process them the following day.
As soon as we have received and reviewed your Activation Order documents, we will activate your account the next working day. You will then receive your first monthly blocked amount within 3-5 business days.
- For example: If you send your Activation Order documents on Monday, our banking partner will process your request on Tuesday. The money will then show on your current bank account on Thursday or Friday (generally takes 3-5 working days).
The following disbursements are scheduled automatically for the first working day of each month. Should you have transferred more than the required Total Blocked Amount, you will receive the excess amount with the first disbursement.
Your buffer will be transferred with the last disbursement. Please note: if your funds were not sent from your personal account and/or an intermediary bank, make sure that we have the required documents
We cannot proceed with the activation order if your signature is missing. Don’t forget to fill
in the date, place and the signature!