Wonderful! You have arrived in Germany. Now you have to finish two tasks before activating your TK insurance.
1. Register at university (Immatrikulationbescheinigung)
Bring the two documents that you have received from TK after an online application.
- Insurance confirmation (Versicherungsbescheinigung)
- University notification (Meldung der Hochschule an die TK)
2. Open a current account at any German bank (Girokonto)
After those tasks are finished you can start the activation procedure. To activate your TK health insurance, you need to send us the request using the request form choosing the category of request "Techniker Krankenkasse (TK) - Activation" and stating your name and date of birth in the subject line. In the main text please provide us with the following details:
- Date of arrival in Germany: dd/mm/yy
- Certificate of Enrollment from your university (Immatrikulationsbescheinigung)
- German bank account: IBAN and BIC
- German address: including recipient name, street name and house number, postal code, and
Note: Please be sure that your name is on the mailbox, otherwise, you won’t
receive letters from TK.
After all those steps are taken, Expatrio will update your personal information and inform TK. Generally speaking, you will start to receive letters from TK after 1-2 weeks. Don't worry if it takes a longer time, because you can always visit the hospital with your TK insurance confirmation (Versicherungsbescheinigung).